App Name: Override DNS
Requirements: Android 4.3 and up
It's a DNS changer which works in Android 4.4 KitKat (finally!) and possibly on Android 5.0 Lollipop.
First of all some considerations before going on:
- alpha stage of support for Lollipop has been recently introduced!
- the app needs a rooted device
- if you find something which seems broken, please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) before posting a negative feedback. We can fix things!
- if you are in Indonesia, the app could not work for mobile connections (Wi-Fi and the carrier 3 Hutchinson Indonesia seems Ok).
Then, here's a brief description of the app: it's a DNS changer for mobile networks which works in Android 4.4 KitKat (finally!) and possibly on Android 5.0 Lollipop.
The app was born to change DNS on KitKat, but from version 3.0.0 it has been ported to Android 5.0 Lollipop (see below) and from version 1.3.0 it has been backported to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean MR2.
What does it mean "alpha stage" for Lollipop?
Android Lollipop sources has been released on the 4th of November. SuperSU and root for many Nexus devices it's not so older, so I had a small amount of time to study what's changed. I think I found the solution for Lollipop, too, but I need some feedback from my beta testers before I can call it 100% functional. If you are not patient, give it a try and if it fails, ask for a refund directly on the Play Store, but please write me an e-mail, we could find a solution together.
With this software you can
- Bypass internet censorship when based upon DNS blocking.
- Overcome an Android limitation: there's no system setting to change mobile DNS.
- Speed up internet connection. You can find many articles on the web which show various benchmarks of Domain Name Servers performances and how they affect your navigation (your mileage may vary).
- Keep in sync mobile and Wi-Fi DNS in fact from v1.2.0 the app can handle Wi-Fi connections, too.
- Automatic DNS change when a mobile connection gets activated (can be disabled).
- Automatic DNS change when a Wi-Fi connection gets activated (can be disabled).
- Wi-Fi filter based on SSID, so you can automatically apply DNS only to
certain connections (can be disabled).
- Custom DNS values.
- Almost zero memory and CPU usage, because it's not a service.
- Notifications let you know that the app is working (can be disabled).
- Automatic DNS flush without need to restart the device.
- DashClock integration, to keep an eye on the DNS in use.
- It comes prepacked with the most common DNS services.
- Simple and clean interface, Holo styled.
- Ad free.
- Works on Lollipop, KitKat and Jelly Bean.
More to come (in the next versions)
• change DNS for Ethernet connections, too.
- does not fully support multiple active connections (i.e. tethering or Wi-Fi AP): you have to exclude one network device from the advanced settings
- horizontal layout is still awful.
v3.0.0 - v3.1.0
- Lollipop support (Alpha stage, please contact me for any issue) [ur0022] new feature: blacklist specific Wi-Fi SSIDs (Settings -> Choose network type) [ur0021]
- bugfix: do not set empty PIN [bug0009]
- usability: do not apply DNS when choosing networks in settings
If you experience difficulties with downloading on tusfiles, please try to login first before download (it's free to create an account), and then try use UC Browser, you can download HERE (Direct Download)
I personally use UC Browser for download from tusfiles, and so far always successful without problem.